We work completely within the pain guidelines of your body; adapting our touch and technique in response to your feedback. The treatment gently progresses through the layers of tissue from the upper levels of the skin, deep into the fascia and muscles at the speed that is right to help promote your recovery; typically, you will notice changes incrementally with each session. Treatments are usually given 1-4 weeks apart, depending on the age and presentation of your scar and understanding what changes you hope to achieve. The number of treatments required will depend on the severity of the scar, on average between 4 and 8 sessions are recommended. As everyone’s history is different, each client’s experience is unique and they will feel the result of ScarWork differently.
How We Can Help
· Release Tightness – Scar therapy can help loosen and release tight scar tissue to reduce discomfort. Treatment can be beneficial on both new and old scar tissue.
· Support Emotional Wellbeing – Gentle therapeutic touch can be powerful way to aid emotional recovery and help accept changes after a surgery or accident.
· Help Restricted Mobility – By reducing tightness and encouraging mobility between the layers of skin, fascia and muscle, the client’s range of movement can often improve.
· Stimulate and Boost Healing – Scar massage is often recommended by surgeons to promote optimum scar healing after surgery & may minimise long term complications.
· Reduce Sensitivity and Pain – Trapped nerves and irritated scar tissue can be a factor for prolonged discomfort. Therapeutic touch may reduce pain and help normalise sensitivity.
Your initial appointment will last approximately on hour. As well as treatment it will include a detailed consultation and discussions around your scar and its challenges and symptoms you experience as a result of your scar, we will assess motility around the scar and the impact on the underlying fascia. For small scars, this can be reduced to 45 minutes.
Follow up appointments can be 30 minutes, 45 minutes or 60 minutes depending on your scar and we will discuss this with you at your initial appointment. Smaller scars generally require shorter treatment times. We can combine your scar work with an add-on massage.
If you are already booked in for a massage, we can offer a 15-minute consultation on any scar but you will still need to have an initial scar appointment to begin treatment.